HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION:
Paragraphs due today.
- Which theme best matches the cartoon “Duck Dodgers in the 24 1/2 Century”. What words and actions from the main character help support this theme?
- Use your character map to understand the main character and how he behaves and what motivates him. (This will guide you in selecting a theme.)
- Which of the seven themes best represents the main character?
- Find a thematic statement, or create your own, that explains the message of the theme, based on the main character.
- Begin writing your paragraph. Restate the question as a statement. Answer the question. Provide details.
When complete, reread and make corrections to any unclear ideas (sentences).
We reviewed the results of our writing assignment from 2.1. Students did evaluations and reflections, others revised. We then resumed the vocabulary assignment for 2.2, which is homework for the weekend.
Learning Target: “I can identify and use various types of thematic maps.”
Student talk: What is a thematic map?
Read section 2.2:
- Identify vocabulary: climate, economic activity, landform, physical features, population density, region, vegetation
- Because the GeoTerms are already defined on page 27, explain the definitions in your own words. Use the in-text definitions on page 26.
- Reflect: What could these terms possibly have to do with thematic maps?
- How can thematic maps show physical geography? (see p. 4 for a definition of physical geography.) Use the vocabulary terms associated with physical geography as part of your answer.
- How can thematic maps show human geography? (see p. 4 for a definition of human geography.) Use the vocabulary terms associated with human geography as part of your answer.
WASHINGTON STATE HISTORY:
Students finished and presented their posters on the seven elements of the natural environment.