HISTORY OF SCIENCE FICTION:
Due tomorrow is the second summary of the scientific article. We discussed three content areas of science fiction: futuristic settings, futuristic science and technology and artificial intelligence.
We handed in the first vocabulary assignment. Everyone who completed the work, regardless of quality, received a participation grade of 5 pts. We discussed areas of concern, such as properly using complete sentences when writing definitions. Next time, it will be graded for quality.
WASHINGTON STATE HISTORY:
Due today is yesterday’s (9.24.14) assignment. Today we are examining the Mesozoic Era. The assignment is due tomorrow at the end of class.
Learning Target: “I can explain how Washington state formed during Earth’s geological eras.”
READ section: Mesozoic Era (p. 12, 16-17) & Connecting to Geology (p. 16-17)
Four geologic regions were formed during this era: Kootenay Arc, Okanogan sub-continent, Blue Mountains, North Cascades sub-continent. Choose one of the following strategies to chart your understanding of how each of these four geologic regions were formed.
- Concept Definition Maps (Use complete sentences. You will lose points if you do not.)
- Complete one for each geologic region
- Main concept (title of geologic region)
- (1) Categories (What is it?)
- (3-4) Properties (time, geological processes, including tectonic plates)
- (1-2) Illustrations (What it looks like)
- New definition (How did it influence Washington state’s growth?): _________________
- Scientific Journal Entries (Do not copy from the text. Use your own words to explain.)
- You are a scientist. Write a paragraph journal entry for each of the four geologic regions. Explain how each formed. Include the following:
- Time period (years)
- Important features and details (geological regions, processes, including tectonic plates)
- how these added land mass to Washington state.
- Reflection: How has my project helped me achieve the learning target?