“Colonists Ignore Principles of Self-Government”
1) What does the headline imply about the colonists’ view of government?
2) Close-read in your groups 4.4 Rights of Colonists. How accurate is the headline?
3) Write a new headline that accurately sums up the colonial view of government.
“African Merchants Make Fortunes Trading Cloth for Rum”
1) What does the headline imply about how slaves lived?
2) Close-read in your groups 4.5 Life of African Americans. How accurate is the headline?
3) Write a new headline that accurately sums up the life of African Americans in the colonies.
Use your outline from yesterday (hook it/state it) to write the following paragraph:
1. In the first sentence introduce your subject. How? Grab the reader’s attention with a hook. Mention a unique feature, like climate, housing or economic activity. You do this in a statement or by asking a question. Keep it brief. Don’t explain too much. Do not mention the name of the subject!
2. In the second sentence reveal more about your subject. Mention its name.
3. In the third and final sentence, state your big point as the last sentence of your introduction. (this is in your outline!)
Due end of class. (It’s homework!)