Today we started the process of collecting evidence for a writing project we will start after Christmas break.
“Study Shows Farmers Spend Several Hours Playing Cards Each Day”
1) What does the headline imply about how farmers use their time?
2) Close-read as a class 4.2 Life on a Farm. How accurate is the headline?
3) Write a new headline that accurately sums up farm life in the colonies.
“Unemployment Rises in Cities–Colonists Return to England”
1) What does the headline imply about the colonial cities?
2) Close-read in your groups 4.3 Life in Cities. How accurate is the headline?
3) Write a new headline that accurately sums up life in colonial cities.
Today we finished our outlines for our essay on Canada’s Northern Region. We used the following format:
1. Hook it: What subject is my evidence all about?
“My essay is about _________________.”
2. State it: What big point do I want to make about the subject?
“__(subject)_______ is ____(big point)_____.”
3. Support it: What three examples will I use?
“To prove ______(big point)______ I will use as my examples _________________, _________________, and _________________.”
4. Conclude it: How do I remind the reader about the big point I was trying to make?
“As I have shown you, _________________.”